The student news site of Hayward High School

Three Best Eats in Hayward For Students

April 29, 2015

Val's

Courtesy of Yelp

Val's "Mama" burger on a french roll.

Students all around are aware of the feeling. The feeling of being taken over by hunger and an intense longing for a delicious meal. However, we students are certainly not loaded with money, so we need a good, fulfilling meal for an inexpensive price. I have broken down the top three food joints, unique to Hayward, that will meet a student’s meal yearning, all at a reasonable cost.

1. Five Guys Burgers and Fries

19621 Hesperian Blvd.

Monday-Sunday 11a.m. to 10 p.m.

Five Guys is a fast and casual burger joint, giving the customer that sort of a 1950’s diner vibe. Their fresh-cut fries and delicious hamburger and cheeseburger varieties will make any customer devour virtually any of these on the menu. Customers can enjoy a traditional meal (consisting of a burger, crispy French fries, and a soft drink) at about $10, making this a hot deal for us. Inexpensive and delicious. We’re fortunate enough to have one in Hayward, since Five Guys is very limited on locations.

2. Val’s Burgers

2115 Kelly St.

Tuesday-Saturday 6:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Val’s has been a tradition here in the Hayward area for 55 years, and counting. This yummy burger joint specializes in what the All-American tradition: burgers and fries. With conscious staff and an entertaining environment, Val’s has it all.  Not to mention their all-time favorite burgers and ice cream shakes. This is a very casual eatery, making students our age comfortable in this atmosphere. All of this, and cheap prices as well.

3. El Taquito (two locations)

1) 22354 Mission Blvd.

Tuesday-Thursday and Sunday 11:30 a.m.- 10 p.m.

Friday and Saturday 11:30 a.m.- 3 a.m.

2) 215 W. Winton Ave.

Monday-Sunday 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.

Tacos, tacos, tacos! Oh, and delectable Mexican cuisine as well. El Taquito has two locations in Hayward, making it double the fun. Students with an eagerness for Mexican food, this is the place to go. Delightful tacos, yummy burritos, and amazing chimichangas everyone has to try, all at an extremely reasonable price.  Try El Taquito whenever you have a chance; I  recommend it to all.