The student news site of Hayward High School

Haywire

Filed under Showcase, Sports

Girls Soccer 2016-17: Remembering A Supportive Squad

The Varsity Girls Soccer team wasn’t able to make NCS this year, but the overall outcome was good. Many were proud to be able to play a sport that they have been passionate about or have been playing since they were in elementary school or in a league. Every time that the girls stepped on the field they included and helped everyone fit into the team. If someone made a mistake and they felt angry at themselves, the team always said, “Don’t worry, keep trying and you’ll get it next time.” If you felt frustrated, they always knew how to keep your head up and tell you that what you did was good. Of course many people like to win, but not everyone can always win. It is through the losses that a team will learn and improve. People make mistakes, but to fix them they have to keep practicing to get better. In every practice that they did they always tried to lift everyone’s head up by clapping when they did good and saying “nice try” when they put in their effort.

There were times when they were serious and wanted the girls to stop making the same mistakes, but they didn’t yell at them every single time that they did something wrong. Instead, they encouraged them to do their best the next time. There were times when people felt like what they were saying and yelling was literally meant to be taken in that way, but they made sure that the girls knew that they were just trying to help them for next time and it wasn’t anything personal against the girls. Everyone must trust that the person that was supposed to back them up will be there for them when they were in trouble or when the other team took the ball away from someone. Everyone always had fun after practice and after the games because they knew that all they wanted them to do was play with good effort and not to knock themselves down for something that they messed up on, which is why most students in high school play sports–to get to know other people and to have a certain group of friends called teammates by their side when they don’t feel like they had a good day or game.

Overall, the varsity team did their best and we hope that they make NCS next year when all of the girls are more familiar with the drills and ways of helping other people on their team. Coach always said, “It doesn’t matter if we win or lose all of the games. The only thing that matters is that you girls have fun and always support each other.” There were times when HHS felt like they wouldn’t win, but once they stepped out onto the field and started warming up, they regained some confidence that would allow them to win the game. If they felt unconfident, they still told everyone to be positive and not to focus on the score because it doesn’t matter at the time and it will always be 0-0 so that no one would be too confident and lose their thought while putting in their effort to play the game. Overall, the varsity team did their best and we hope that they make NCS next year.