The student news site of Hayward High School

Haywire

Review: Atlanta & American Horror Story: Roanoke

ATLANTA:

Donald Glover, or Childish Gambino, is truly one of the greatest masterminds of our generations. He brings his creativity and innovative thinking on all his projects whether it is his writing, directing, singing, or rapping. No matter what, Glover seems to entertain us in the most spectacular ways. His television debut started when he was hired to write for the hit NBC show 30 Rock. Then, later starred as Troy in the comic NBC show Community. Now Glover writes, directs, and stars in his very own FX show, Atlanta, based in his hometown of Atlanta, Georgia. Glover uses his comedic abilities as well as his distinct perspective on the world to keep audiences laughing and thinking every week.

Atlanta is about an upcoming rapper named “Paperboi” (Bryan Tyree Henry) and his cousin/manager, Earn (Donald Glover). Along with their laid back friend Darius (Keith Stanfield), the trio tries and makes Paperboi into a successful rapper. Ideas clash in between Paperboi and Earn on whether getting to the top of the rap game is best done through being civilized or being a criminal and gaining street cred. Meanwhile, Earn struggles with his own problems at home after he doesn’t really have a job and has to provide for his baby and his girlfriend, Vanessa (Zazie Beetz). Earn is trying to make amends with himself as well as Paperboi and Vanessa while in the dangerous streets of Atlanta.

Although the bio that was just given might be described as a drama, this show will make you laugh as much as it makes you think about the world. That is what makes this show so great. The show makes the audience experience the perspective of most black Americans living in the ghetto trying to make their dreams come true. The show takes on many topics that face the nation such as: police brutality, poverty, gun violence, fatherhood, and sexuality. With humor to soften the blow of many of the hard topics shown in the show, Glover uses his comedic abilities to make jokes of a dark situation. Glover describes his show as “Twin Peaks but with rappers”. Atlanta is truly the one of few good things that happened in 2016. This is Glover’s masterpiece and hopefully it will continue for season 2 of Atlanta.

AHS:6

American Horror Story season six. After a long wait it’s finally here. Creepy promos showed no clue as to what the theme of the season was going to be, more the reason to watch. Ryan Murphy, the creator of the show, says this season is going to be the one where all prior seasons connect. Murphy said that this season was going to be filled with twists and turns and was gonna be the best season ever. However, it was not. Ryan Murphy should have stopped with Coven. He overdid himself with the first three seasons and the seasons that followed were a complete trainwreck. Roanoke was also a catastrophe. Don’t get me wrong this season was way better than Hotel and Freak Show; however, Season six or Roanoke was just way too complex for us to follow. Murphy really tried to make this an unpredictable season, but instead made us confused throughout the whole plot. The storyline was about a documentary, inside a TV show, inside a reality show. Trust me, that’s not even the confusing part.

This season tried making up for the last two terrible seasons, and although this season was better, it did not make us love American Horror Story. The main problem, again, was the confusing storyline: a tv show about a documentary about a couple that went through some paranormal activity in their home in the Roanoke County. Then, they have actors play the actual survivors. Then, after that “show” is over they have another “show” about the first “show”. It is downright mind boggling. Other than that, they have a whole show from a first-person perspective. So, while the characters are escaping death and stuff, they are holding cell phones recording. The show was just stupid. In my opinion Murphy needs to listen to the fans because after all: that is who watches the show. What do the fans want? They want blood, gore, drama, betrayal, suspense, and Evan Peters all wrapped up in one amazing season. They don’t want to be confused. Evan Peters is the fan favorite and Murphy gave him a minor role in the whole season. That is what they want. Make American Horror Story into the dysfunctional romance between crazy lovers that was Murder House, the suspense and thrill of Asylum, and the betrayal and drama of Coven. That would be the best season of American Horror Story, something the franchise really needs at the moment.