The student news site of Hayward High School

Haywire

Dear Troubled-In-AP-World

The Farmer

Question: I’m having trouble with AP World. What should I do?

Dear Troubled-In-AP-World,

AP World History can be a pretty tough class (right up the alley with AP U.S History), but with a little extra help, I’m positive that you can pass! I took the class, and even passed the exam, so I know quite a few tips that will help you:

First and foremost, it is essential that you read the textbook every single week. The textbook will help you with the reading quizzes that you will have every Friday in class. As long as you read, you will pass each quiz easily because you will know the material.  Most students believe that they can go the entire year without reading the textbook and still pass; however, when the time comes for you to actually take the AP test, you will not be prepared in the slightest. In a history class, much less an AP one, it is crucial that you know the fact, and history subjects–in particular–demand that you know a deluge of historical names and dates, so definitely study your flashcards.

Trust me, you need to know these events because they serve as evidence (and points) for your essays in the Free Response section of the exam. In addition, the homework plays a big role in your grade, and if you don’t do it, then your grade will drop. Put every ounce of of effort that you can into those EQs (Essential Questions), because twenty points can help you immensely, and can be the difference between a D+ or a C-.

Additionally, there is one thing that I can not stress enough, and that is to do your own work and not to plagiarize answers. Teachers will be able to tell right away if an answer is yours or not, and plagiarizing will not help you learn anything. You should also take advantage of all of the group essay assignments in the class, because they will allow you to exchange ideas with your classmates and will enable you to meet new people who will be just as focused on the class as you are. The group essays really helped me when it came time for the AP test, and I was able to finish my DBQ (Document Based Question) easily and quickly.

Moreover, you should spend a lot of time outside of class viewing past essays on the collegeboard.org website. (They can ask about just anything and sometimes throw in a  question that’s been asked in the past) Practice writing them timed; this will increase your ability to write under pressure. And on the day of the AP exam, time flies, so learning how to manage your time is a must.

My last tip for you is to try your hardest, but not to stress and over think your work, because at the end of the day, the only thing that matters is that you did everything in your power to pass the class. Even if you don’t do well on the AP exam, you will have still tried your best…besides, this is your first shot at an AP class–there will be plenty more that you can take next year. Best of luck!!