The student news site of Hayward High School

Hayward High Delivers in Last Home Game of the Season

December 10, 2016

On Oct. 28, after an outstanding rally earlier in the day,  the Hayward High football team had no question on the support they received from their peers. Prior to last year’s loss in the homecoming game, the football team of 2016 can proudly say they deserved that win. The night started off with having everyone thinking it would rain after a foggy and wet spirit week.

The tension in the stadium was high, the night was crisp, and having a win was in the atmosphere. Hayward High was against Arroyo High school from San Lorenzo. The first half  of the game was a positive opening to the night after ending first quarter at 7-3. It was really the second quarter that brought everyone excited and filled with delight, having it end at 21-9.

When asked about the performance of the team, Jaliee Turner, pointer and wide receiver, said they were “making mistakes [but they were] still trying”, and still “executing”.

When being asked about his thoughts about the game in second quarter, Donovan Silva, starting center, said, “We just need to play our hardest right now. We’re two steps away from winning league and I think we are in a good position right now.”  

During the second quarter, the players reached for their last touchdown of the first half and the game ended at 21-9.

Hayward High football players continued to give it their all in the third quarter of the game, ending at 28-9. There was no second thought that Hayward High was going to take the win that night. Coach Justin Redemer gave his last year’s varsity team an inspring speech about chasing your dreams and not giving up on the future.

The last quarter ended with an impeccable 35-15 win for Hayward High. Quarterback and linebacker, Isaac Espinoza said that his team, did really good and since they didn’t win last year, it was a much needed win.  

He believes that offense was “executed really good and [that] defence was perfect.”

After the big win,  coach Justin Redemer was very proud and impressed with the team’s performance.  

“… We played with a lot of heart, they closed the game out strong, and played hard in the second half,” Redemer said. “ I’m proud of them, they played hard at home… I couldn’t ask of a better group of guys, and how they compete and how they prepare, and how they want to win.”

Score Summary:

Q1: 7-3

Q2: 21-9

Q3: 28-9

Q4: 35-15