The student news site of Hayward High School

Haywire

“An Ember in the Ashes” a Two-in-One: Heart-Pounding Thriller and Wild Adventure with Plot Twists Along the Way

Photo Courtesy of Good Reads website

Cristina Parez, Staff Writer

This book has potential in a multitude of ways, which I find myself anticipating in the next book/series. This book is an action packed, heart-pounding thriller and readers are given a whole new experience when faced with the world that the author, Sabba Tahir, has created.

You get both perspectives from the two main characters, which is expressed in such detail. Some parts of the book contained some cliches but it wouldn’t really be an issue towards the rest of the story. If you like a fast paced book, without thinking or dwelling on some (hinted) romance in the story, then this is the book for you. This book also has a lot of good pacing throughout the story.

The author makes it apparent that the two main characters (Laia and Elias) each have their own distinct personality and both display some rich character development  as the story goes on. The side characters in the story are ones you will also grow to love and hate, and their actions leave readers with the overwhelming desire to say something to both the main characters and the side characters, whether it is to criticize them or praise them. You get to see both of characters in different places and scenarios that each of the characters (Laia and Elias) face. You will grow to love and understand both of these characters.

The whole setting of the story is very interesting and its world building is almost like a movie studio set-up. You can easily visualize what the setting is like. This world also isn’t ‘’fluffy,’’ or ‘’soft,’’ and it’s definitely not cutting around the deep and dark edges. Tahir had made sure that this world was going to be brutal and honest. It does, at times, and it is sad—but at the same time you get to see the world in Elias’ and Laia’s eyes, which at times, is dark. Yet, you get to see the light through the eyes of these people that the world might hopefully bring. You will also find that one of the characters is really dysfunctional and catty, to the frustration of readers.

“The New York Times” writer Marie Rutkoski wrote, ‘’…Tahir is careful to show that the members of the Empire are also victims. Students are whipped and subjected to psychological terror. While the repetition of violence runs the risk of injuring readers to it, ‘An Ember in the Ashes’ is a richer book for showing that none of its characters are truly free or safe,’’ which pretty much sums up what the book is about and what you can expect from the book. Which again, really,  is compelling and fascinating.

There are some problems with this book but as mentioned before,  it isn’t as bad. Some of these problems aren’t prominent enough for you to remember as you continue reading.

There is  a ‘’love triangle’’ in this story but it isn’t the cliche love triangle where the girl is basically a damsel in distress, making that the HUGE issue of the story. It isn’t about which dude is hotter or which dude is better, no #teamboyone or #teamboytwo trend goes on either. Besides that,  there isn’t anything else majorly problematic. I recommend that you read the book slowly so that way you can fully understand the world, about the world, and much more like political stand points, etc.

This book is very well rounded and lots of good things are coming ahead, since on August 30, 2016, the second book of the series titled, ‘’A Torch Against the Night’’ has been released. It is now available on Amazon, Kindle, Barnes and Noble, Libraries, and much more. Hopefully more development occurs and much in the story will be told. I would personally recommend this  book to anyone.

Suggest any book that I should do a review on or anything! I am open to suggestions and much more. You may also like:

-The Wrath & the Dawn (The Wrath & the Dawn, #1)

-Falling Kingdoms Series

-Legacy Of Kings (Blood of Gods and Kings #1 Series)

-Snow Like Ashes (Book 1 of -Snow Like Ashes Series)

-Illuminae (Illuminae Book 1 of Series)