The student news site of Hayward High School

Haywire

Filed under Showcase, Sports

Boys Soccer Team Has A Great Bounce Back Season But Fall Short Of NCS

After having a horrible 15-16 season with only 1 win, the boys soccer team started the 16-17 season with a lot of pressure on their backs. No one wanted last year’s season to be repeated, so they started getting prepared much earlier than was expected. They started conditioning in August, even though their season didn’t start until late November, running and putting in the work until it was pitch black. Everyone on the team was mentally and physically ready to get the season started with a win.

They played a preseason game vs Alhambra High School and they held their heads high with a  victory of 2-1, leaving behind a big chunk of last year’s pressure. Once the season began, they had a season filled with a lot of ups and downs. They had great wins like the 2-1 win vs Dougherty Valley where it seemed like the team was ready to compete for a playoff position, but they had huge setbacks like the 3-0 loss vs Castro Valley where it seemed like last year’s season would repeat itself.

The team was lacking consistency. They would go into one game and completely dominate their opponent with great passes, effort, and goals; however, they would play the next game and completely forget what it was to play as a team. They ended the season with an overall record of 7 wins, 10 losses, and 4 ties.

“We had a fun experience. Even though we didn’t make it to playoffs, it was nice to finally have a team that got along with one another. This is the most united I’ve seen the soccer team in years,” said junior player Eric Ramirez.

It was much better than last year’s season, but it wasn’t enough to make it to playoffs; however, this season was very different from the past soccer seasons that Hayward High had gone through and that has a lot to do with the excellent coaching staff.

Before this soccer season, Hayward Soccer was known for starting fights during the games, getting lots of red cards, and having undisciplined players both on the field and in the classroom. Coach Tommie Turner and Coach Carlos Gimenez both emphasized discipline and to take education very seriously.

“It was a fun season. I had fun and they had fun. I made sure that they understood hard work and where it can get you,” said Coach Tommie Turner.
“I feel like the discipline changed dramatically within just a year of  coaching changes. Thanks to these boys who were with us and stuck by our philosophy and discipline. We feel like we had a great group and this season wouldn’t have been anything without them and all the work they put in. They had heart…more than anything they had heart”, added Coach Carlos Gimenez.