The student news site of Hayward High School

Boys Varsity Basketball Team Participates in 18th Annual James Alegre Tournament

February 15, 2017

The Hayward High boys varsity basketball team packed their bags and headed on their way to Hawaii to participate in the 18th annual James Alegre tournament, which they have participated in twice. The tournament was held at Radford High School, in Honolulu, Hawaii. They represented Hayward High with pride, leaving the tournament with a total of two wins and one loss.

They began the tournament with a win over Moanalua with a score of 60-51. Their second game didn’t go as planned with a 51-30 loss against Lahainaluna;however,  they bounced right back up with a win on their third game against Leilehua, 39-35. Not only did the Hawaii trip give the team a chance to prepare for their regular season, but they also had a lot of time to bond as a team and really get to know one another.

“We got to bond a lot. We had a lot of time to hang out in the hotel and go to the beach together. We were also able to build more chemistry with one another on the court,” said senior shooting guard Kile Kleiner. While the team made a great impression at the tournament, they also came back to Hayward inspired: they haven’t lost any of their preseason games since their return. “It’s [current season is] going very well. We’re 6 and 1 right now. We can’t wait for the regular season to start,” added Kleiner.

1 Comment

One Response to “Boys Varsity Basketball Team Participates in 18th Annual James Alegre Tournament”

1. Chuck Hansen on February 18th, 2017 8:07 am

What a memorable trip for these young men.
    An experience of a lifetime. How fortunate they were to experience Pearl Harbor, especially on this 75th Anniversary of this horrible event.. They must always be aware that this could happen again and be ever vigil.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Haywire • Copyright 2017 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in