The student news site of Hayward High School

Haywire

The Book Thief

Cristina Perez, Staff Writer

The Book Thief

Genre: Fiction, Historical Fiction, Young Adult, Novel.  

Published: 2005 Picador

Overall, I give this book a 5/5.

The world during Nazi Germany has been seen in movies, TV shows, and books. The Book Thief , by Markus Zusak, is a coming-of-age story about about a girl living and seeing her life unfold during the growth of Nazi Germany, who makes a habit of stealing and reading books in secret (certain books being forbidden in Nazi Germany) whilst giving sanctuary to a Jewish man in the basement of her home. This book is moving, remarkable, and–most of all–enchanting.  

In its entirety, The Book Thief  enables you to see the journey of the main character: Liesel. You see her as a young girl, at age nine, living with her family, trying to understand the lifestyle that she will be living and what she expects living in Germany. You see her slowly growing up as a young teenage girl: in this we get to see the involvement of the events in Germany and some news around the world during World War Two. The story has a similar vibe to Anne Frank, though the difference in this story is that Liesel is hiding a Jewish man, Max Vandenburg, in the family’s basement.

The story then expands by becoming an up-to-your-seat situation, and at some points in the book we get to see the connection, the friendship, the bond between Liesel and Max. “‘Now I think we are friends, this girl and me. On her birthday it was she who gave a gift to me.’’’  For the rest of the characters are impactful too. You get to observe their struggles (with morals, themselves, or others)  while living in Germany, handling the war and talking about their lives in the the past and the present.

This is an amazing visual of what a person might see growing up during the Nazi era; it will give you chills and realistically depicts life towards the end of World War II. Zusak has created a book that will leave you speechless.

One thing that is totally different from this story is the narrator: Death. Death is a unique voice throughout the book. At first I felt a bit unsure how I would liked this dark narrator, but once I started reading and flow with the story, I slowly start loving the sound of Death’s narrative voice! It shows maturity, light, and presents a great amount of observation. Death is like a person who has feelings and in which makes this book so much more interesting. In his New York Times review, John Green states, “Readers are introduced to this Death-as-storyteller concept in a too-long invocation that begins The Book Thief. This is no Grim Reaper — we have here a kinder, gentler Death, who feels sympathy for his victims.’’

In the end, seeing the seasons result in the Germany’s coldest days, this book will chill you to the bone. This is an amazing book. I highly recommend it for anyone who wants to read about World War II. This book has been read worldwide and has been made into a movie, so after reading the book you can also watch the movie!

The only thing that people may not like or that is ‘’flawed’’ is that you must read slowly because Zusak wants to make sure that the reader understands the close relationship between WWI and WWII. This book is not made for a super quick read. This book is meant to be slowly consumed and analyzed in great detail as to setting, tone, etc; if you are planning to read this book, take your time and read in depth and enjoy The Book Thief.

If you like this book you may like:

Code Name Verity (Code Name Verity, #1)

Chains (Seeds of America, #1)

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Salt to the Sea

Between Shades of Grey

Suggest any book you would like me to review! Have fun reading.