The student news site of Hayward High School

Haywire

Winter Guard

Cristina Perez, Haywire Staff

The flags are soaring high and they are making their way down towards the first prize trophy. Winter Guard is here, and they are expecting this year  to be an exciting  and thrilling one. Winter Guard–which is a sport at Hayward High–is a bit  different from  Color Guard, another sport that students take part in. As a member of  this year’s Winter Guard, Justelyn Moriano pointed this out by saying, ‘’Basically Winter Guard is where we go to different schools to have competitions.Winter Guard and Color guard are different because we do a lot of marching, like military marching more in Winter Guard rather than Color Guard.’’ As Winter Guard prepares for their up-coming competitions, the Haywire Journalism team has come to ask some of the members of Winter Guard questions and to hear their stories.   

As we spoke to the captain of Winter Guard–Paulina Pena, who is in her third year of Winter Guard–we got a glimpse of the commitment that these dedicated students have. Paulina talked about how Winter Guard is preparing for up-coming competitions and when they will be expected to be competing. She states, “We have competitions next year, around February, March, and  all of April, and it’s very exciting!’’ With this she goes in depth on what to be expected for a person wanting to join Winter Guard or Color Guard. Paulina states, ‘’You need a lot of commitment if you want to be in Color Guard and Winter Guard. We practice every single day in the evening and sometimes on weekends.’’ Paulina’s closing statement for newcomers is  that they need to be expected to come to practice everyday and to be prepared overall.

We then talked to India How, who is currently the co-captain of Winter Guard and has been in Winter Guard and Color Guard for all four of her years in high school. India has seen the ups and downs of  Winter Guard and  Color Guard, and  hopes for a bright future for this year’s Winter Guard, and for future years to come. India discussed why she decided on  this particular sport and her reasons for sticking with it when stating, ’’The reason why I decided to do all four years is because of the connections I made doing it: I gained a lot of friendships and it started to become more like a family to me.  I just really enjoyed it–it gave me a thrill, and I also enjoyed performing.’’ India has said that she has experienced many emotions and stress throughout her Winter Guard and Color Guard career, but overall has had a positive experience. When talking to India, we received insight on what’s coming up for this year’s winter guard and what we can expect: she informs us that ‘’I am looking forward for the dance [being] incorporated into the routine that we’re doing this year, and I’m hoping to leave high school [with] more first place trophies, though if not, then that’s totally fine.’’ Lastly, we spoke to India about what she expects for the future of Winter Guard and Color Guard–about which India concluded by saying, ‘’I just hope it gets better in the aspect of being more community and everyone enjoying it since that’s all we want is just for people to enjoy.”
        Winter Guard is currently practicing everyday after school in  the cafeteria and is always welcoming new members. Winter Guard and Color Guard members want everyone to have fun and enjoy the experience of being a student in Color Guard, but also to  remain focused on the team and competitions.