The student news site of Hayward High School

On Election of 2016

America Made the Wrong Choice and We Have to Live with It

December 11, 2016

It was supposed to be a night of celebration for the Clinton Campaign. Clinton’s Headquarters was filled with confident and extremely spirited supporters, but as Election Night raged on, there was a drastic shift in atmosphere.

Clinton fans were grief-stricken. Some had burst into tears with others full-out sobbing, and faces were frozen in shock. This was not the outcome that most of America expected. Instead, the map that made the United States was dominated by red.

Red everywhere. In the House,  in the Senate, and  now the White House.  A 3-branch GOP take over.

And now, our country’s future lies uncertain, in the hands of a certain orange egomaniac named Donald Trump.

This walking cheeto is a prime example of the saying “Anyone can be President” taken too far.  For supporters, indulge me, what can Trump do for this country? What is his appeal?

Is it his lack of political correctness or his empty promise of “Making America Great Again”? Or could it be his nativist approach in foreign policy that excludes groups that gave America its name as a ‘melting pot’? Is it his degradation of women? Or could it be his lovely temperament, leading to such rational decision making?

Let’s debunk some arguments that Trump worshippers have made time and time again. The first being Donald Trump’s occupation as a businessman. Trump supporters are under the assumption that his role as a businessman would suggest an advantage in his part–that he is knowledgeable in economics and finances and, therefore, it would benefit our economy in the long run. Here’s a basic summary of Trump’s business career: six bankruptcies (not personal), 35 years worth of mediocrity (as analyzed by “The Economist”), and a whole bunch of luck, considering that he started off with a small loan of a million dollars.  

Another argument for Trump is that he has some sort of a “Common Man” appeal, similar to that of Andrew Jackson. Jackson wasn’t some fancy-schmancy President with a degree and vocabulary like that of our founding fathers. He was quite literally, the common man, which made him super popular among the uneducated, poor, and white. Just. Like. Trump. One may argue that his lack of political correctness is a good thing, and that his lack of fancy rhetoric is what makes him much more trustworthy than his adversary, Hillary Clinton. Political correctness is defined as “the avoidance, often considered as taken to extremes, of forms of expression or action that are perceived to exclude, marginalize, or insult groups of people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against.” So the fact that he lacks political correctness isn’t a good thing.  Rhetoric is also crucial as a politician. What you say will provoke action, whether it is good or bad. Trump’s over-generalization and racist rhetoric had sparked outrage and his promise of a wall destroyed relations with Mexico. Not to mention that it made America a laughing stock. And now they are laughing harder, at the nation that is considered a superpower with the election of Trump.

Trump ain’t no common man. He grew up in a privileged and wealthy background and inherited success–he didn’t make it. He built casinos and hotels that went bankrupt, and made product brands himself that failed. Trump’s background would suggest that he was raised with a mentality that he can get what he wanted, whenever he wanted. That the world was within reach and he had no limitations. Which is what I want to address–his ego.

His ego plays a big role in what he does. It was seen dozens of times throughout the debates. You give him the facts; he says wrong. You tell him that experts reviewed his policies and say they aren’t feasible; he says wrong. You mention a video went viral of him verbally degrading Miss America pageants, and he’ll tell you wrong. You write an article about him and he’ll say wrong and slander. Ironically, he wrote books about being a leader and that discipline is key. From what most of America has seen, he doesn’t have any. So picture this guy in his cabinet and discussing relations with other political leaders. How can you reason with a man totally convinced that he is always right? He wouldn’t make for a good diplomat in foreign relations and even as a President. And it is only one of many things that are concerning about Trump.

Trump likes to criticize Clinton about being flip-floppity as a politician, but the fact that he used to be a die-hard liberal makes him a hypocrite. Not to mention that one minute he’ll call Mexicans rapists and label them as the perpetrators of drug-smuggling, and in the next he will kiss a few buttocks to get minority votes. So who’s to say that Trump’s promise of  “Making America Great Again” will pull through? The fact that Trump supporters repeat this phrase when asked why they rooted for him is appalling. They chose to distrust Clinton, and yet put their faith on Trump wholeheartedly over just four words?

Following Trump’s win, protests have erupted all over the nation. From a few thousand gathering in the streets, to high school students in front of city halls. The message is crystal clear: we don’t want you as President Mr. Trump. And this is only the beginning.

Yes, Trump may have won in terms of electoral votes, but the fact of it is that he lost the popular vote. Maybe because we refuse to call him our President is a bit of an act of denial, in the midst of our grief,  but it is a whole different matter considering all the overwhelming cons that come from this outcome.  We can only hope that Trump won’t follow through his considerably unpopular policies and reconsider them.

This is part one of my synopsis of this ego-driven man with an unhealthy obsession with walls.

In the next one, I will provide an analysis of his policies, on why he won, and more potential dangers with him as a President, and some things that we can’t deny that Trump is right about.