The student news site of Hayward High School

Haywire

All-time Classics Make a Comeback

Diba Gordafkan, Staff Writer

Nostalgia is all the rage in Hollywood, especially when it comes to TV shows and movies. The past few years have featured an array of different reboots and revivals of 20th century shows and films. This includes “Gilmore Girls”, “Ghostbusters”, “The X-Files”, “Full House”, “Star Wars”, “Twin Peaks”, and many, many more. Fans of these classic films and shows obviously cannot wait for the show to air, but in an era of TV revivals and reboots, the question remains as to whether any revival can ultimately live up to its hype.

In part of the revivals, this brings along wireless products such as Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. Many cord-cutting viewers are rediscovering shows around when cable and broadcast networks were up and around. In another era, shows like “Twin Peaks” would persist only in a few hundred DVD collections; now, viewers bored with the latest network offerings are binging on them for hours on end.

The blood-like crave for revivals has seriously gotten out of hand, but many are not complaining. If anything, the trend has only accelerated in the last six months, with high-profile drama shows like “Twin Peaks” and “The X-Files” getting picked up, as well as talks of or orders for “It”, “Jumanji” and “Star Wars”.  And honestly, it’s obvious to see why many networks have decide to go for this. For the same reason Hollywood keeps dragging out Jack Sparrow, Marvel and DC into theaters every few years, there’s a built-in audience for these things. And with fewer people watching TV live, every little bit helps. Even if you’re not a fan of “Full House” or “Gilmore Girls”, Netflix knows you’re probably gonna check out the new season because of the huge hype.

However, there can be problems with these revivals. They might have ended up nicely beforehand and fans wouldn’t want anything changed. Bigger casts would also make filming and scheduling much more difficult. Most of the time, the actors would either move onto various projects and degrees of fame, quit acting, have feuds with other cast members or some, well, really can’t be bothered for whatever reason there may be.

Other things such as the lack of empathy towards the fanbase, scheduling conflicts, etcetera are also things to consider. With these inconveniences stacked together, it leads to the question of whether or not the revival is an ‘all or nothing’ basis and if everybody would sign on or not.

Revivals are a way for viewers to revisit their childhood, but they also provide a much-needed dose of the more innocent past. The gritty feel of most popular shows today left little room for sentimental shows like those of the past. Uplifting shows like “Gilmore Girls” and “Full House”, mind boggling shows like “Twin Peaks” and “The X-Files” and the brilliant films like “Star Wars” and “Ghostbusters” are sorely missed, along with many other shows and movies on the way.

These shows and movies provided a source of inspiration with characters that thousands of viewers could look up to. The question remains, though: will the revival trend continue? No one knows at the moment, but right now, sit back, relax and enjoy the nostalgia.