The student news site of Hayward High School

Haywire

Meet Eileen, the Face Behind Bay Creatives

Courtesy of Syrop's Instagram account @eileezus

Kameron Lee, Staff Writer

As a young girl growing up in a house full of creative artists, Eileen Syrop was naturally drawn to the visual and performing arts.

At the age of five, Syrop started taking piano lessons up until the age of 12, and soon switched to producing music on her computer using various production softwares.

Many may not know this about Syrop, but she is very shy; however, all of her piano lessons,  music production software, and motivation from those around her provided her with the confidence to produce and sing on two short albums in just over two years.

“The summer before sophomore year of high school, I dared myself to drop a song where I produced the beat, wrote, sang, and recorded the lyrics,” Syrop said. “I did it and it got good feedback, which really motivated me to keep going.” Eileen is currently working on her debut album, and hopes that it will be done by 2017.

However, Eileen is known for more than her musical abilities and talents. In the spring of 2014, Eileen founded Bay Creatives, an organization that gives creative artists a platform for encouragement, support, and connection with different artists. Eileen recalls that her motivation for starting this organization was  her personal longing to “connect with different creative people.” She also found it to be quite an oddity that artists would be aware of one another on the internet via social media pages, but not collaborate or interact in person.

“I started thinking about all the other people that felt the same way and I realized that there was nothing stopping anyone from meeting someone from social media in person,” Syrop said.  Syrop found that social media played a big role in the collaboration with other artists, when she helped a friend from Alameda host a photography event in the spring of 2014. Syrop had put a time and location on Instagram and about 20 people had shown up, which further prompted her to create Bay Creatives.

“We had a super dope time shooting photos, stopping in parts of the city to just talk, eat, listen to music, rap, dance, anything we felt like as a band of creatives. I wanted to keep putting on events like that so I started Bay Creatives as a formal movement to do it under,” Syrop said.

Managing this organization is a challenge, yet Eileen does so through the support of people from any and everywhere; these places include Oakland, New York, and even the Philippines. It is safe to say that Bay Creatives is well on its way to becoming a worldwide organization. Doing all of this must naturally require some sort of inspiration and motivation. Eileen’s motivation transpires from other artists, and where her inspiration stems from varies.

“Everything that surrounds me, experiences I’ve had and plan on having, the way I’m feeling at any given moment, and literally anything I imagine,” Syrop said.