The student news site of Hayward High School

Haywire

Filed under Opinions

We Are Wary of Clinton’s Campaign Chaos

The race to the White House is beginning to get very tense as the competition to get the most delegates is making candidates–on both the Republican and Democratic side–restless.

With Donald Trump winning the majority of states, granting him the lead of 262 delegates over Ted Cruz, he’s on his way to being the Republican nominee. Trump, Cruz, and John Kasich are the remaining candidates running, with the most recent drop out of Florida Senator Marco Rubio. But on the Democratic side of the race, things aren’t so clear.

Since the beginning of the race in 2015, Hillary Clinton had the advantage in nearly every poll, having been the candidate with the most name recognition, most expected her to come grab the nomination without breaking a sweat. That is, until independent Senator Bernie Sanders came into the picture.

Clinton’s lead over Sanders in national polls continues to become slimmer and slimmer, with the most recent Washington Post-ABC poll showing Clinton with only a 7 point lead over Sanders, which is a mere lead compared to the 60 point lead she had over him back in 2015.

The Michigan primary shook things up for the Clinton campaign and her supporters, as Sanders was trailing Clinton by 20 points in the then recent polls, but ended up winning the state with nearly 20,000 more votes than Clinton. This surprising outcome has been keyed the biggest political upsets in modern political history. This upset let many of Sanders’ supporters to question the accuracy of polls in the upcoming primary states that voted on March 15th.

Even though Sanders’ ended up losing every state on March 15th, she barely won in many states, including her home state of Illinois, and Sanders’ performed better than expected in each state, excluding Florida. Though in Florida, exit polls showed that those in support of Clinton had made their decisions before either candidates had started campaigning in the state.

So, what went wrong? Though Clinton’s campaign pushes to unite the Democratic party, her defensive tactics in Michigan did the exact opposite. At the debate that took place in Flint, Michigan before the primary, Clinton tried to defame Sanders’ voting record by pointing out that in 2008 he had voted against the bill that would’ve rescued the auto industry, which would’ve helped middle class families in Michigan. She failed to mention that the bill included a part of legislation that Sanders very much holds disdain for, a Wall Street bailout.

As soon as she blurted it out, Sanders was quick to defend himself, accusing her of cynically leaving that part out to benefit her campaign. The more she tries to undermine Sanders’ voting record, the more her credibility is tarnished. However, the more Sanders points out her record, more is done to his favor, as her voting record and views on many issues have flip-flopped all over the place.

Both Republican and Democratic are on the same side of the coin this election year, as both groups seem to be steering clear of establishment candidates. Trustworthiness is a key attribute candidates must have in order to appeal to the majority. In a recent poll rendered by YouGov, 67% of voters find Clinton untrustworthy. Even Trump ranks better than her, with 59% finding him dishonest. But Bernie Sanders is the most trusted candidate from either parties, as 68% of voters find him trustworthy.

While Sanders’ record is practically spotless on issues like immigration reform, same-sex marriage, abortion rights, economic issues, and foreign policy, the same cannot be said for Clinton. Up until 2013, Clinton opposed same-sex marriage. Why did it take her so long? Many believe she plays the “politician game”, meaning she does not really have her own opinions or views on issues, but instead switches her views until it benefits her in polls.

Though the mainstream media and even the Democratic National Committee (DNC) are constantly pushing Pro-Clinton propaganda, it isn’t resonating with younger votes. Younger voters seem to be seeing through the establishment’s bias, and the establishment does not seem very happy with that. But why is the establishment so Pro-Clinton? Well, it probably has to do with the thousands of dollars they have given to her campaign. Time Warner, which owns CNN, has donated a total of $591,524 to Clinton in the form of PACs and individual donors.

CNN is pretty condescending when speaking about Sanders’ supporters, saying they really “don’t want him to be president,” but instead are just “sending a message.”  Now that the Southern states are out, many predict Sanders’ will catch up to Clinton’s delegate count since all the upcoming states are in his favor.

He is currently trailing Clinton by 314 pledged delegates, so there is still a chance. With his current losses, many of his supporters are starting to get more aggressive in campaigning for Sanders. Sanders’ has received 5 million individual contributions of supporters, for a total of $96.3 million dollars, without SuperPACs, this is a political record. So, he and his supporters can count on that money to continue campaigning ‘til the very end.